Thursday, November 29, 2007

Big Time Deja Vu


From an episode of thirtysomething I wrote called Michael Writes A Story originally broadcast on April 9, 1989

MICHAEL
I took your advice; read Nashiru on the art of management. He tells the story of two samurai warriors standing in the rain, swords out, each ready to strike. But neither of them moves. They just stand there in the storm, poised.

MILES
Why?

MICHAEL
You tell me.

MILES
Because whoever moves first loses the advantage.

MICHAEL
So they stand there getting soaked, accomplishing nothing. Stupid way to make a living, isn't it?

They stand there. Then:

MILES
Why don't the two of you come in and we'll have a more substantive discussion?

MICHAEL
Sounds like a good idea.

MILES
It is.

4 Comments:

Blogger David Roe said...

Years ago I had a friend send me a vhs tape of this episode when it first aired. I cannot tell you how much I recognized it to be one of the finest examples of television writing I had ever heard. Or any writing for that matter. As Raymond Chandler once wrote, "There are no 'viable and significant forms or art.' There is only art, and precious little of that."

When I know words to have the sound of truth, I remember them. When I remember them after 25 or 30 years their truth has only become a part of me. Than you for your perfect words.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Sisyphus said...

This is probably one of two episodes of Thirtysomething that I can recall in any detail. Something I've always wondered is if the mentioned book by Nashiru actually exists.

2:57 PM  
Blogger David Roe said...

Totally an invention. At the time I recall going to my local bookstore (Waldenbooks, back in the day) and hassled them to look it up so I could order it. No such book ever existed as I would later find out for sure. Certainly sounded compelling though.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Iv Libahrt said...

Thanks for posting. Fantastic episode, especially this exchange. Will be using it, with appropriate credit, in an upcoming book I'm writing on strategy. Hope to update comment when book is published. Thanks again.
William J. Bahr

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home